Siblngs Together Quilting Bee

I'm Anna and I blog at finallywakingup. My quilt was the February offering from the Siblings Together Bee and I used Color Me Happy donated by Moda. I decided that I wanted to try and make something suitable for a pre-teen girl so I picked out the lighter fabrics from the bundle which included some florals but also some leaves and blender fabrics. 

Siblings Together Bee February Quilt

Given fabric that I wouldn't normally pick for myself it seemed like a good chance to try putting together colours and patterns that I wouldn't normally work with and I succeeded on that count as both my parents (I have to use their kitchen floor to baste as my current house doesn't have room) commented that it was different from anything I'd made before.   I chose the Pinwheels in the Park pattern which I'd made before for my younger son. It's a really simple and fun block to make and once you get the sashing in the pinwheels really pop, although I have to say I was worried that I'd made a mistake with the fabric choice and sashing choice for a while.  Lynne very kindly did the quilt math to increase the size of the blocks and the finished quilt came out around 80 x 60.

   Siblings Together Bee February Quilt 

I used aqua Kona solid for the sashing which I'm really happy with. I couldn't figure out how to quilt this and in the end went with bog standard stippling which has given it some nice texture.

Siblings Together Bee February Quilt

I had the not so nice experience of sewing my finger whilst doing the quilting, I've been sewing for over half my life and have never done that before, and hopefully will never do it again.  My first thought, after freeing myself, was that I hoped I'd not bled on the quilt and luckily I hadn't.

   Siblings Together Bee February Quilt 

The backing is a Kaffe Fasset dot from Celtic Fusion Fabrics, I thought the grey would keep it from being too girly and for the same reason I used the grey stripe from the Colour Me Happy bundle for the binding. The batting was from Lady Sew and So.
  Siblings Together Bee February Quilt 

I'm really happy with the way this came out and I hope it finds a girl who will love it. I've really enjoyed being a part of the Bee this year, thanks to all the donating companies, Lynne for organising it and the rest of the sewers for making this so much fun and for allowing us to donate 12 quilts to this wonderful charity!

Comments

  1. so cute and cozy! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful quilt! Ouch - just the thought of sewing a finger makes my eyes water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful quilt - I do like 'heavily quilted' :)
    Hope your finger is ok. That happened to a lady next to me at a workshop once. Made me feel quite peculiar!
    www.thequietstitcher.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful. I love the effect of the quitting.
    Hope the finger is Ok.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks lovely and was glad to be a part of it though it sounds like Anna took it too literally - ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh dear! I hope you're all right!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it!!! Great colors and the quilting is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment away peeps :-)