10 Aurifil winners

I will announce the winners at the bottom of this post but just want to mention a couple of things first. [Two winners have been deleted as they were not contactible and have not come forward to claim their prizes so numbers have been re-drawn on 22 and 23 July].  Firstly, a few of you asked where you can find Aurifil. I am linking here to a list of Aurifil stockists around the world or, for those of you with an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad, these are available from the Aurifil app.





A few of you have also asked for a brief explanation of what each thread is recommended for. I will in time review each of the threads and recommend my favourites for different tasks but here is a short explanation of the recommended use of each thread as well as my impressions after using the 50wt for a number of different tasks.  Katy I'm a Ginger Monkey also gave a quick breakdown of the different uses for the different weights of thread last week on her blog here.


50 weight (orange spool) - hand and machine piecing and applique




The 50 wt is the thread I have been trying so far for machine piecing. The thread is very fine, very smooth, almost lint free. It is giving me more accurate seams and points, the seams press flatter and I am finding noticeably less lint in the machine. It runs through the machine like butter with no snagging or breaking and also slides back out again like butter if unpicking is needed. Who am I kidding. Unpicking is often needed.

I have also been using the 50wt for the Hexalong and am absolutely loving hand sewing with it.  It is barely tangling at all and is easier to untangle if it does.  It runs very smoothly and is giving a very neat finish to my English Paper Piecing.

I have also tried FMQ, straight line quilting and top stitching with the 50wt thread but am going to try the 40wt and 28wt for these tasks and report back as I prefer a slightly thicker thread for all of these. That's just personal preference.

I have also hand sewn a binding on with the 50wt and it was beautiful to hand sew with. Again I will try the 40wt for this as I prefer a heavier weight for finishing bindings.


40 weight (green spool) - machine quilting



28 weight (grey spool) - for a bolder look when machine quilting and for hand quilting and blanket stitch


12 weight (red spool, available in cotton or wool) - decoration, embroidery, embellishment and sashiko


I have ten winners of the Aurifil trial packs and colour cards.  Could each of you email me with "Aurifil Winner" in the title of the email and the number commenter you were so I can make sure I have emails from each one of you when I pass the information to Aurifil.  You need to provide me with your full name and mailing address so that your gift pack can be mailed to you.














Comments

  1. congratulations everyone!

    I agree about handstitching with the 50wt ... it's glorious .... my binding was a dream to sew

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many chances ...
    Good for you who won!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart just did a flip!!! I WON :) Thanks so much for this Lynne and Aurifil!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to the winners, soooooo sorry I missed this giveaway, I adore Aurifil. I've been in Italy this week and didn't find anywhere to buy it, how daft!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the info on what the different weights are good for :-) Congrats to all the winners :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am I nuts? Did I only count 9 winners? Maybe mine was the name left out? LOL! Congrats to the many winners! If you've not used this, you will be amazed at how nice Aurifil is. Toni

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first ever giveaway win! When I read my name I squealed so loud my husband came running from outside! Thanks so much Lynne, Mr Aurifil and Mr RNG! Now off to buy a lottery ticket....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cucire felici, fortunati vincitori!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the guide and for the opportunity to try some new thread. I'm excited to play with the Auriful :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats to the winners. You will love Aurifil thread, I sure do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YaY ! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many winners! What a generous givaway! Thanks for the chance - it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations to the winners!

    It's already included in the list of stores that stock Aurifil, but I just wanted to mention that I buy my spools from Monogrammed Heirlooms because I like their price and that they give a discount if you buy more than four spools at a time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I won! Thank you so much! I can't wait to try the different types of thread.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lynne, I can't seem to find your email address to give you my snail mail address. I really need your help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cecilia my email address is lilysquilts @ gmail . com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment away peeps :-)